[Dixielandjazz] Washboards???

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Aug 10 14:04:54 PDT 2005

Mike Vax writes:

> At the risk of being flamed, I have a question.
> Other than these reasons:
> 1. Your drummer is bad
> 2. Your drummer is a jerk
> 3. Both of the above
> 4. Portability?
> Why on EARTH, would you want to get rid of a drummer and
> add a washboard player?????

Because:

- It takes a hell of a drummer to be better than no drummer at all

- Not so much incessant pounding on cymbals

- The above exceptions cover a stunning percentage of real situations
  encountered on OKOM gigs.  (Actual percentage withheld in the
  interest of maintaining decorum.)

Nota Bene: Tongue firmly in cheek --  Flame away!

Paul Edgerton
who gave up drums in jr. high school for the much easier clarinet.