[Dixielandjazz] FW: Spud Murphy

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 9 21:41:15 PDT 2005

Dear friends,
This one from the Australian Dance  Band list, courtesy of Denis King.
Denis found it on another list, but did not name the contributor or the
date.
Perhaps it is 'old news' and I missed it.
Kind regards,
Bill.

I just heard that Lyle "Spud" Murphy passed away. When I was a boy
of sixteen I had a nine piece band and most of our arrangements were
stock arrangements by Lyle "Spud" Murphy. He was an arranger (over
100 charts for Benny Goodman) teacher and musician who influenced
many great others who practiced his craft. Quincy Jones said he was
one of the greats.

About five years ago I was thrilled to meet him sixty years after
buying all those stock arrangements. He was already in his nineties,
but in great shape. My friend, Tom Griep was music director on a
Silver Seas cruise and Tom's wife, Evelyn Halus, Spud and I went to
New Zealand and Australia on this very elegant cruise line. Spud had
a great sense of humor and was wonderful to be with.

He fell recently and because of his late age I knew that he would
not be with us much longer.

You will no doubt be reading a great deal about him in the next day
or two, so I'll leave it at that.

R.I.P., Spud.

------ End of Forwarded Message