[Dixielandjazz] Re: Record Collection Data Base(3)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Aug 9 15:28:18 PDT 2005

Whenever the subject of sorting systems come up I think about an art
project that happened recently in San Francisco - the artist (with a
lot of helpers) sorted most of the  books in a  used book store by the
color of the binding!  Here are some pictures and an interview:

http://www.pushby.com/tomas/2004/11/15/index.html
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/events/chriscobb2.html

I also think of the possibly true story of the rock music collector who
sorted all of his albums by  who he was dating at the time he bought
the record! (was that in a movie? )

Anyway, I sort my collection of about 2000+ LPs into shelves - Jazz
things I will use on my show for sure, Jazz things I might use (but
probably won't,) Classic Comedy/Novelty; Comedy that cannot be use on
the radio, Brass Band, Marching Band & Tuba related recordings; World
Music; Rock n Roll - new and old; Classical and Soundtracks; and stuff
that does not fit into any other category. I have been trying to
alphabetize by artist within each category but that is a slow
evolution.

Pretty much the same thing for CDs...

How do I find things? Usually a very long process of skimming through
the shelves and re-reading the album covers! I find all sorts of
interesting things that way ;-)

Dave Richoux