[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Focal Dystonia

James Butler jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com
Tue Aug 9 11:37:58 PDT 2005

You should try living with it like I have for the past four or five
years. No amount of rest horn or mouthpiece changes makes any difference
nor does changing your embouchure or the way you blow air through the
horn. One of the biggest problems is that it's nearly impossible to use
your tongue without cutting off the air stream. I played for over 50
years with no problem and then it started plus I was lucky as it can
affect anyone regardless of age. People should read the musicians with
dystonia bulletin board at www.dystonia-bb.org. You can read some real
horror stories about what it's done to ALL kinds of instrumentalists.

Jim Butler
Forced to retire trombone player