[Dixielandjazz] Re: lyrics

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Aug 9 04:43:23 PDT 2005

The only sheet music I found at Lib of Cong last week were 2 versions, both
with lyrics by Don Raye, published by Leeds Music Corp.
1. In F, with basically the standard melody, first copyright date given is
1941. 2nd cop. date is 1950. Lyrics are almost identical to Bill's
transcription.
2. In C, touted on the cover as being a new arrangement, which has
considerable variation from the standar. Copyright dates given are 1950,
1951, 1954.

I added the variant lyrics to Bill's [in brackets] below.

--Sheik
("Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 2" is in stock.)

At 03:21 PM 08/09/05 +1000, Bill Haesler wrote:
>So far as I can find, the first version with lyrics was recorded by Louis
>Armstrong and Gary Crosby for Decca on 18 Jan 1955, backed by the All Stars
>with Sonny Burke's Orchestra.
>Louis and Velma Middleton sang it in a Nina & Frederik film ('The Formula
>For Love'. Jan 1959).
>Several 1990s European band renditions have included a vocal.
>I have transcribed the following lyrics from the Louis Armstrong/Gary Crosby
>version.
>
>"Struttin' With Some Barbecue" (1927. Lil  Hardin [Armstrong]-Louis
>Armstrong). Lyrics have been credited to Don Raye, who is probably the
>lyricist who became famous in the 1930s for "Rhythm in My Nursery Rhymes",
>then went on to a successful song-writing career.
>The lyrics sound 50ish to me and certainly not what I would expect from
>1927. The sort of dixie stuff that Johnny Mercer used to throw off so
>easily.
>
>Struttin' with some barbecue
[and swingin'] [delete: When you're] with the band