[Dixielandjazz] the weary lip blues

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 12:30:34 PDT 2005

Truth is, Armstrong's lips looked like they had been through a meat
grinder-pieces were actually missing from his lips due to his "exaggerated  playing."
I remember reading that at one performance he bled all over his  white shirt
and had to quit blowing.

No amount of rest would have helped. Perhaps this is why he sang more and
more, and played less and less as he grew older. While I liked his scat songs, I
 was always disappointed when a recording I purchased failed to have the
sound of  his trumpet- Just a personal preference I guess-

tradjazz