[Dixielandjazz] gloomy sunday

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 12:26:33 PDT 2005

Besides the Artie Shaw recording of "Gloomy Sunday", Billie Holiday had a
version which ended with the singer waking up from a bad dream, Acker Bilk
did it also which was OK and valve trombonist Bob Brookmeyer's Orchestra
recorded the tune in November, 1961. The arrangement was done by Eddie
Sauter.

I would rank them as follows. Your taste may be different.

1) Artie Shaw for mood
2) Bob Brookmeyer for creativity
3) Billie Holiday because of the cheap ending (probably not her doing).
4) Acker Bilk even with a bad ending, it's hard to beat Billie.

Stan
Stan Brager