[Dixielandjazz] I TOLD YOU SO

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Aug 4 09:23:45 PDT 2005

Steve barbone wrote:

>It is not often that people ever get to say "I told you so" with such
>meaning as I say it now about Jonathan Russell.
>
>I received about 8 answers to my query about how this 10 year old jazz (real
>jazz) violinist did at Greater Connecticut Jazz Festival the last weekend in
>July.
>
>ALL OF THEM stated that Jonathan was "the hit of the festival", or "stole
>the show", or "plays real jazz", or "is all you said and more" or "really
>knows how to improvise", etc. All were from folks I consider to be
>realistically knowledgeable about jazz and jazz musicianship.
>
>NOTE TO FESTIVAL PRODUCERS/ORGANIZERS. . . WORLDWIDE!!!!!
>
>Get off your self important duffs and  bring this kid to your place. He'll
>do more for your event that just about anyone else in the business if you
>are smart enough to promote him properly to the new, young audience. And if
>you are not smart enough, hire someone who is.
>
>OPEN NOTE TO MISSISSIPPI AND AMERICAN RAGS. What is taking you so long to do
>a major article on the kid? Perhaps you might spend less time focusing so
>much effort on the past and write a little more about the future?
>
>Ignore the NIH syndrome and get with it. :-) VBG
>
>Cheers,
>Steve Barbone

Well, hell, Steve, since you were there on several occasions to hear the
young man and you are so much a booster of him, why don't you write p
the story and send it to one or the other of the Mags you just seem to
have scolded. You won't get rich writing for them -- not at a couple
pennies of word, but then it would be a labor of  love. I agree that an
article on the young fellow is due -- however, it would see a little bit
of a slap at these two publications when you write >Perhaps you might
spend less time focusing so much effort on the past and write a little
more about the future?<  While it is nice to keep up with the newer
things  that arrive, I would hope they never stop bringing us the
stories and history of the past -- if we do not know about and rememver
our past,  we cannot understand where we are going today and how we
arrived at this point.
So, get your article written, Steve-oreeno, and tell us what you know
about this wunderkind. We await with bated eyeballs!
Don Ingle