[Dixielandjazz] I TOLD YOU SO

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 08:01:45 PDT 2005

It is not often that people ever get to say "I told you so" with such
meaning as I say it now about Jonathan Russell.

I received about 8 answers to my query about how this 10 year old jazz (real
jazz) violinist did at Greater Connecticut Jazz Festival the last weekend in
July.

ALL OF THEM stated that Jonathan was "the hit of the festival", or "stole
the show", or "plays real jazz", or "is all you said and more" or "really
knows how to improvise", etc. All were from folks I consider to be
realistically knowledgeable about jazz and jazz musicianship.

NOTE TO FESTIVAL PRODUCERS/ORGANIZERS. . . WORLDWIDE!!!!!

Get off your self important duffs and  bring this kid to your place. He'll
do more for your event that just about anyone else in the business if you
are smart enough to promote him properly to the new, young audience. And if
you are not smart enough, hire someone who is.

OPEN NOTE TO MISSISSIPPI AND AMERICAN RAGS. What is taking you so long to do
a major article on the kid? Perhaps you might spend less time focusing so
much effort on the past and write a little more about the future?

Ignore the NIH syndrome and get with it. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone