[Dixielandjazz] Comment on Jonathan from a participant at CT Jazz Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 1 16:02:09 PDT 2005

Band manager Cathy Tatrow (Wally's Warehouse Waifs) kindly gave me
permission to make the following public.

Jonathan . . . If you are listening, start practicing an extra hour a day
now because soon you are going to blow us all away. When I gig with you at
the 3 day equestrian event next month, I'm going to give you some "Bird
Licks" to answer. 8's, 4's, 2,s and maybe some Clifford Brown/Harold Land
like 1's. :-) VBG

High speed "I Got Rhythm" so practice up. Tell Andy Stein the gloves are off
now.

Cathy, thanks for your comments and the pictures.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Dear Steve:

I'm a lurker on the DJML - simply because I haven't taken the time to figure
out how to respond directly to the list.  Feel free to make any or all of
the following comments public...

Steve, I was at the Greater CT festival with my group, Wally's Warehouse
Waifs - who most of the DJML participants would know as the former musicians
from the New Reformation Band.  We have a well established reputation for
our efforts in promoting OKOM to young people, and encouraging young talent,
so naturally checking out Jonathan was on my priority "To Do" list.

In following up on this type of "rave review " typically what you run into
are very "technically" talented young people.  Young musicians with
photographic memories, able to reproduce tunes note for note but not really
playing jazz.

Jonathan Russell is playing JAZZ.  He's trading fours with well seasoned
musicians and consistently coming back with creative ideas that astonish
even the most experienced veterans.  It is a delight to watch this young man
perform and he truly is a phenomenon.

My musicians were so impressed by this young man's talents, that we asked
him to sit in with our group.  This turned out to be the highlight of the
festival for me.  A picture is worth a thousand words, Steve, and I'm
attaching a few photos to illustrate.

Photo 1 captures our own "Phenom," 21 year old clarinetist - Dave Bennett,
laying down a few lines for Jonathan.  Look at the delight on Jonathan's
face.

Photo 2...Jonathan has responded and totally blown away the Kid.

Photo 3 shows trumpeter Dave Tatrow giving Jonathan some hints about "Stage
Presence" and demonstrating a few dance steps.

In answer to your question "Has Jonathan Russell been Discovered"?...I know
for a fact that Festival director, Dave Fanning from the Suncoast Festival,
has invited Jonathan to appear.  He will definitely be there for the
November 2006 event and efforts are being made to coordinate a possible
appearance there this year.  I can guarantee that this is just the
beginning....

Cathy Tatrow
Band Manager
WALLY'S WAREHOUSE WAIFS