[Dixielandjazz] What music do young people hear?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Apr 30 14:26:02 PDT 2005

There is no law that says everyone should like the same kind of music.  With
the multiciplicty of styles today it's the teacher's and schools job to
introduce styles that may not be in the main stream.  Musical tastes are
formed primarily in the teenage years.  It's a matter of what they spend the
most time listening to that tends to form their tastes.  In my own case I
was a teen in the Elvis R&R era.  I played with country rock bands and some
Jazz when I was 17 in the AF band.  I got through College playing anything
that someone would pay me to play.  Had I not been exposed to the Jazz
influence in the AF I would be a totally different musician today.  Having
said that, the early rock and Country rock influence still shows through
many of my solos

I think that it's a matter of time spent listening to a kind or type of
music.  There are major portions of the country that only listen to C&W.
The big city areas are going Rap and of course Rock and it's 500 variations.
The trend today is for music where people don't have to think.

I agree that it's an absolute fact that the kids like OKOM but they actually
hear so little of it except at school.  My hat is off to the teachers who
try to introduce different styles of music.  When I was in school I didn't
receive one minute of music from 1900-1958 and not one minute of popular
music of any sort in college.  As far as they were concerned Jazz, Miller or
Goodman or anyone else didn't exist.  Only old, dead, white guys were worth
anything.

I think it's important that the teacher's approach it in a more or less non
academic way.  Having fun is what's it's all about.