[Dixielandjazz] What music do young people hear?

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Apr 30 10:17:50 PDT 2005

There is an organization up in Allier called Musiques Vivantes that
subsidizes concerts of all sorts in schools.  The school only has to
pony up around $250 or so.  Years ago, we were doing 3 or 4 concerts for
them a year.  (I fear funds have dried up for MV as when they hire us
now, we play as a trio).  Normally, we have very positive reactions --
we get them scatting, they ask questions, etc...

One time, we played a 'tough' pension high school -- the kids lived
there Mon to Fri.  These kids didn't want anything from anyone.  Most
wore their walkmen (sp) throughout the concert.  Christian tried to get
them to scat (once) and those that weren't with headphones, pointed at
Christian and laughed.  The only question asked was; "Can we go now?"
At one point, an administrator saved us by announcing everyone would
have an hour of study hall.  Of course, they all groaned, but all herded
away into another building.

We were supposed to play an hour and a half, but the administrator cut
us off at an hour.  We were cooked after the concert.  I never felt so
uncomfortable on stage in my entire career.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com