[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tenor guitar?

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 17:10:36 PDT 2005

Gary Kiser wrote:
"Our guitar player is very interested in a buying

tenor guitar (4 string tuned as violin) while we
are in Sacramento.  He has an alto guitar right
now and feels a bit limited on the fret board.
Any suggestions??"

   Well, the tenor guitar is usually tuned like a
tenor banjo (or mandola or viola): CGDA. This
enables use of the same chord forms as violion
(or mandolin). There are many tunings though. I
think www.tenorguitar.com (or .org?) is a site
all about tenor guitars. I have owned several,
but have none now. There is also the slightly
bigger plectrum guitar, which is tuned like the
top four strings of a guitar, DGBE. I do know
that LArk in the Morning (www.larkinam.com) now
sells a tenor guitar for something around $300,
as I recall. I have no firsthand knowldge of how
decent they are as far as quality. Martin used to
make some fine tenor guitars, and there are good
Regals. Another good Web site to look at is
www.bernunzio.com where he has tenor guitars
mized in with his guitar inventory listings.
There's often a good bvintage buy there. Hope
this helps.

Happy Webtrails, Bob Loomis