[Dixielandjazz] Playing for Elementary School Kids

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 14:04:24 PDT 2005

Dear Band Leader Listmates:

Following is correspondence pointing to the demand for OKOM at the
Elementary School level. Our grass roots effort to build the local audience.

Forget the baloney that schools have no money for this kind of thing. Most
of these events are funded by the Parent/Teacher Organizations. They want to
promote "The Arts". Note our $420 rate. That is our standard one hour
"School Kids" rate. We book these gigs on days where they are followed by
another gig in the evening to make it worthwhile monetarily as well as
emotionally for the sidemen. ($70 per man, 6 men, no leader fee)

If you haven't experienced the thrill of a 200 +, 5 to 10 year old audience
when they first hear OKOM, you are missing out on something magical.

In addition to our very busy regular gig schedule, we do programs for
Schools including all grade levels from  K through Graduate School at the
Universities, (charging more at High Schools and Colleges.)

This is YOUR audience if you are willing to go after it. And you will
eventually get so busy musically that you'll give up your day job. We've
been doing it for about 10 years now and at many of our regular gigs, see as
adults, the kids for whom we once played.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

----
Mr. Barbone,

I spoke with you several months ago about the opportunity to have the
Barbone Street Jazz Band play at Hillendale Elementary School in Chadds
Ford.  Skip Barthold recommended you as a fantastic group for "just starting
out musicians" and they loved your performance at Chadds Ford Elementary.

We would love to have the band be our end of school performance.  I would be
interested in having you in the middle of June during our last week of
school--particularly Monday 6/13 or Tuesday 6/14 at a time that is
convenient ( you had mentioned that afternoons are better).

Would you let me know if these dates will work?   If not, perhaps the week
prior.

I look forward to hearing from you!

M W    610-*** ****

-----

Hi M W

We are booked on the nights of all of those dates, so the afternoons of any
of those dates would work as long as we can leave by 3 PM latest.  Monday
the 13th, or Monday the 6th are preferable, but the 7th and the 14th would
also work. On all, however, we must be able to leave by 3 PM to meet our
evening commitments. 1 to 2 PM, or 1:30 to 2:30 PM would be ideal.

Please let me know as soon as you can so I can hold the date. We love
playing for the children.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

-----

Mr. Barbone,

Monday, June 13th  at 1:30 would be great.  It will be the whole school (375
kids, grades K through 5).  How do you feel about indoors (our "gymatorium
as I call it) vs. outdoors for the venue?  Also, I have a cost of $420 and
want to be sure that is your current rate.

Thanks for booking us--we're excited to have you!

M W