[Dixielandjazz] Questions on two Bechet tunes

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Apr 26 05:56:25 PDT 2005

The Anderson book says Bechet and Barbarin's "I Keep Calling Your Name"
was recorded by Bechet in the 50s under a different title.  Does anyone
have this recording and the title used for the recording?  And, does
anyone know the actual composition date?

Bob Wilber wrote that no recorded version of Brymn and Bechet's "Ghost
of the Blues" includes the vocals before Wilber himself recorded it (his
wife on vocals) in 1981.  Yet, the Anderson book says it was recorded by
Eva Taylor with Clarence Williams' Harmonizers (Okeh 8145) in 1924.
Does anyone have this recording?

Maybe I'll check out the Dead Kenny Gs and the Dead Kennedys sites to
see if I can learn something there.  Don't grimace, the Dead Kennedys
did a couple of Gershwin tunes.

Peace and good will to all, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com