[Dixielandjazz] The Power of OKOM

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 25 21:20:45 PDT 2005

Just returned from Barbone Street's Grand Opening gig at Costa's, a new
restaurant in Wilmington DE, population 80,000, mostly Black. However,
corporate HQ for several large Companies etc.

Costa's owner (31 years old) did it right. Networked with the Mayor as well
as the business community movers and shakers. Joint was jammed. Mostly
younger, upwardly mobile, urban professionals. About 20% black. Mostly jazz
oblivious. Some with children.

Among the notables there were the Mayor, City Council members, The director
of Cultural Affairs, friends, and several high powered business execs.

According to the owner and staff, the band made the party. Barbone Street
played Dixieland for three hours, got an hour of overtime and a generous
tip. Plus food & drink.

We did our usual table visiting to drape Mardi Gras beads, thank people for
coming and schmooze. One little 10 year old girl taught me how to make a
star on the bead necklaces . . . she learned it in school!!! Very impressive
when shown to the older girls/ladies. :-) VBG.

The audience loved the music.

Firmed up a date for Clifford Brown Jazz festival with director of cultural
affairs for the city. (Brownies home town) Possibly another for our bassist
who played and recorded with Brown . . . with other surviving jazz men who
played with Brown. What a gas that would be for him if they can put it
together.

Now negotiating a steady once a week at Costa's. (There goes our day off)

And we had to turn down a swing dance at the University of Delaware for next
week, because we are already booked for a swing dance in Trenton on that
date, for Princeton and Rutgers students.

Plus a High School graduation party and an Elementary school gig are coming
up in May. (by popular demand of the kids) As well as an Arts Festival
concert featuring 10 year old jazz violinist Jonathan Russell with an
audience that will include at least 500 kids.

Meanwhile, jazz experts in just about all the rest of the USA says OKOM is
dying because young people don't like this music. They have to be kidding,
right?

Cheers,
Steve