[Dixielandjazz] Bird Songs in OKOM

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Apr 23 10:03:53 PDT 2005

Bix was a big fan of Impressionist music, and was keen on Frederick
Delius as much as Debussy and Ravel. My dad, who worked with the
Goldkette band, mentioned that Bix had a windup record player and some
Delius recordings that has just come out.
What turned dad onto the same composer was hearign Delius' On Hearing
the First Cuccoo of Spring (sp?) and I 'll admit my own like for this
wonderful tone poem in music Hoagy was right on when he wrote what many
have dubbed..."Bix Licks," or "Skylark,". Based on some Bix warm up
phrases often played.
Mt Meadowlark, Berkley Square (nightingale), and other tunes took
inspiration if not actually bird notes in the music or lyrics. It is
clear that for many composers, birds indeed gave inspiration.
Not musical? I would say more birds sounds than you think are not just
musical but  worth a good listen. When I hand feed the little chickadees
that frequent my feeders all winter, eating the seed out of my hand in
their tameness, they give me a soft serenade in return. The notes are as
musical as one could ask for. It just takes the time to listen, and
analyze the sounds.
Like people, some birds are very musical vocally. Other are more like
the early outs on the American Idol try outs. But listen to a cardinal
sing to its mate and you will become a believer.
Yeah, I know. I'm for the birds!  Damn right, that!
Don Ingle