[Dixielandjazz] Music vs. Musical Sounf

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 11:03:21 PDT 2005

"Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>

> There is a difference between music and musical sound.   Birds make musical
> sounds for the most part.  Hoots of owls, while not unpleasant don't strike
> me as musical.

Hi Ron:

I could buy into that if you could explain to me what the difference between
music and a musical sound is. How do we know that the birds are not thinking
they are making music? Or making a conscious effort to be musical? Is a bird
trill any different than a clarinet trill?

We may think it is a territorial warning, but then, so is the musician at a
jam session or cutting contest, or club date making a territorial warning.
;-) VBG

And, if a hoot owl sounds like a washboard, then is either music? ;-) VBG

Perhaps the "don't strike me as musical" is the operative phrase concerning
what is, and what is not music to each of us?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone