[Dixielandjazz] Re: Why "Mabel's Dream"?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 21 23:06:35 PDT 2005

Dear Jerry,
According to 'Tell Your Story' by Eric Townley "Mabel's Dream", composed by
Ike Smith, was originally called "Maybelle's Dream" on the sheet music.
Whether Mabel or Maybelle was factual or fictional is not known, but may
have been related to the composer.
Pianist/vclist Ike Smith's Chicago Boys recorded two tunes "Fighting Joe
Louis/Chicago State Street Blues" [which I have] on 9 Sept 1935.
He may well be the same man, given the location.
I have a vague feeling that we discussed this on the DJML some time ago, but
can't recall whether we got any further than the above.
Kind regards,
Bill.