[Dixielandjazz] What is music? (Trying again)

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Apr 21 17:07:37 PDT 2005

Larry,

I lucked out.  First of all, I learned the busking 'ropes' from non
French musicians in Paris.  These guys had all the tricks; where to set
up, when, for how long, the type of things to draw attention, etc.
Aside from learning some tricks, I had a couple of things going for me.

1) I didn't have airline tickets to pay for.  My plan was to go until I
ran out of money, then to dip into the safety wad in my shoe to get back
to Paris.  In the end, I made out pretty well and returned to Paree
'cause I had some gigs.

2) I was a solo act.  I could relocate rapidly and easily without much
commotion.  Plus, I hitchhiked a bit in Sweden and hitchhiked from
Copenhagen to Paris on the return trip (hardly touched my safety wad).

3) I was cleanly dressed, but not over done.  In my opinion, you guys
looked TOO sharp and everyone thought you were a hired act.

4) I don't really know what I'm talking about.  I just had some good
luck, good weather and met some great people.

Back in the mid 90s, before Eddie Erickson hooked up with that no good
trio :-) he wanted to take off a month and busk around Europe with me.
I think we would have made a mint.  Alas, he is too good to get a month
off.  I had Eddie and Sue over here three times with me on blow bass
(twice for Sancy Snow Jazz and once for Jazz aux Sources) and we had a ball.

All the best, Gary "pass the hat" Kiser

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com