[Dixielandjazz] What they teach in college these days...

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Thu Apr 21 11:05:33 PDT 2005

The problem with defining anything in terms of God is that you must have
a concept of God. Some folks regard God as an abstract notion that
corresponds to nothing in reality.  So if you want to have a definition
of music that is useful to everyone, you'll want to base it on
observable reality.

Here's mine: Music is the organization of noise.

If something makes a sound and you can control it, then it can be the
basis of music.  This rules out noises that happen once, like the sound
of building collapsing.  It also eliminates noises that happen
completely at random.  Organization implies structure.

Since music is the result of human effort and not random occurrence, it
is art.  Art is motivated by intention and powered by craftsmanship. You
need both intention and craftsmanship to produce good art.

Craftsmanship is the mastery of materials.  In music, the materials are
rhythm, melody and harmony -- in that order of importance.  You could
arguably have music based on rhythm alone, but you can't have a melody
without rhythm.  In the same way, you can't have harmony without both
rhythm and melody.  (Think about that before you challenge me.)

Craftsmanship is the means of expressing artistic intention.
Craftsmanship can of course be appreciated on its on merit, but by
itself isn't art.  Good craftsmanship provides effective expression of
artistic intent, and poor craftsmanship detracts from artistic
expression.

The music we're discussing (bowed piano) was fairly well-crafted, but to
me it was lacking in artistic expression.  I suppose it isn't unusual to
say that about a college performance.  The students are still learning
HOW to make music and haven't fully grasped WHAT music they should be
making.  It may not have been great music, but it wasn't bad music
either.

Truly great artistic expression is difficult to achieve.  That's one of
the reasons we value it so highly when we see or hear it.  There is only
one Beethoven -- or Louis Armstrong.  There's certainly no need conclude
that music education has failed.  It simply hasn't finished its work.

Thus sayeth the apostle.  Somebody say "amen."

-- Paul Edgerton