[Dixielandjazz] Niels-Henning Oersted Pedersen

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Apr 21 10:20:59 PDT 2005

We lost another great one.  He was a great symbol in Denmark.  As in
France, Sydney Bechet inspired a lot of young uns (at the time) to play
the sax (even though many finished playing more like Parker and
Coltrane), NHOP inspired many to play the bass.  From my visits to
Denmark, I found there are more outstanding bass player per capita than
in any other country where I have played (18).  Really!!  It was rare to
hear jazz (old style or modern) where the bass player (female or male)
wasn't a standout member of the band.

Often we lose musicians in groups of three.  I hope I am wrong.  If not,
who will be the other two?  Oops, am I sounding superstitious?

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com