FW: [Dixielandjazz] What they teach in college these days...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Apr 20 10:07:14 PDT 2005

Gunter wrote:
Problem with a lot of young people is that they skip step one.
In music, step one is becoming a musician.

I always liken it to a race car driver.  You don't go out and drive one of
those without first learning to drive a normal everyday car.  Once you are a
good driver, then you can go about breaking the rules.

That's the trick...know the rules & you can then break them if it is to your
pleasing.  If it is pleasing to others, then, all the better.

I've done a heck of a lot of work with contemporary music in my studio.  In
the year 1992 I actually put together (that's assembling/editing broken bits
of music that had been recorded in bits & pieces), mixed, and mastered 22
CD's of Contemporary.  It was a curious period for my Dixieland playing!
Contemp during the day, and strange notes appearing in my Dixie playing at
night!   :>   Really, it did kind of awaken new horizons for me!

Some of the works I did was actually placing a note, yep...one note, at
mathematically timed spaces.  We used pitch change to vary that note, took
off the attack of the note to create different attacks to the notes, making
them appear in the distance with the attack change & different degrees of
reverb added.  Real fun.  Don't know if it was music, but it was fun to
do...as an editor!

In all fairness, the musician/director that I was working with is an
excellent musician, one who can break the rules & does!  He takes his work
very seriously, which was the most important thing for me.

He used to laugh if suddenly there were 3 or 4 bars of an actual melody
line, as he would see the look of pleasure (finally) on my face.  I do,
personally prefer a melody.

Jim