[Dixielandjazz] Not OKOM jazz, but very close. On topic of "pro" vs. "day job" musicians

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Apr 20 09:47:17 PDT 2005

This was in the San Jose Mercury today.

Dave Richoux

===================================

Octobop employs a '50s play ethic
JOBS OUTSIDE MUSIC HELP SOUTH BAY BAND PRESERVE WEST COAST JAZZ
By Andrew Gilbert
Special to the Mercury News

The myth of the starving artist is one of the Romantic movement's most
pernicious legacies. Exactly how is someone's creativity enhanced by
insecurity about food and shelter?

I was thinking about the enduring notion that scuffling somehow
enhances artistic authenticity while talking to saxophonist Geoff
Roach, the guiding spirit behind Octobop, a South Bay band dedicated to
the intricate arrangements associated with 1950s West Coast jazz.

The eight-piece group, which celebrates the release of its third album,
``After Dark,'' Friday at Espresso Garden, is made up of musicians who
mostly have pursued careers outside music for much of their lives.

Featuring trombonist Mike Humphrey, who toured with Ray Charles and
studied with Duke Ellington alum Britt Woodman, former Southern
California session musician Matt Kesner on saxophone, trumpeter Randy
Smith, vibraphonist Bill Hazzard, guitarist Jack Conway, bassist David
Kopf and drummer Roy Kaufmann, Octobop is distinguished by its
pianoless instrumentation.

With a cast that includes a research scientist from Sun Microsystems, a
retired Silicon Graphics high performance computer engineer and an
intellectual property lawyer who was on the Apple team that launched
the MacIntosh, the band's roster of day gigs is also fairly unusual.

``Most of us have tech backgrounds, or something related to it,'' says
Roach, who has worked as a marketing vice president at several Valley
start-ups. ``People often say, `You guys aren't a real band because
you're not starving musicians.' Sometimes people don't take you
seriously, but we're very serious and passionate about this music. This
stuff is not easy to play.''

Octobop's repertoire is drawn from the highly inventive work of
arrangers such as Shorty Rogers, Marty Paich, Bill Holman and Gerry
Mulligan. The band is good enough that saxophonist Dave Pell, a seminal
figure of the 1950s West Coast jazz scene, is joining the group as a
special guest at Espresso Garden. Pell is also distributing the group's
CD on the label he created to reissue some of the nearly three dozen
albums he recorded in the '50s and '60s, sessions featuring jazz greats
such as Art Pepper, Jack Sheldon, Frank Capp and Don Fagerquist.

``When Geoff asked me if I'd be interested in the album, I said, `Well,
let me listen to it,' '' says Pell, 80, from his home in Los Angeles.
``I listened to it and said, `You got it! We'll put it out
immediately.' I love the idea of coming up and playing with them.''

Roach first contacted Pell several years ago while tracking down
arrangements for Octobop, and ``After Dark'' includes two pieces from
Pell's popular 1950s octet, a beautiful, multi-linear Holman chart of
``The Way You Look Tonight'' and a playful Paich arrangement of
``Mountain Greenery.''

As with many of the Octobop charts, Roach had to tailor the
arrangements for the band's pianoless instrumentation. Over the years,
he has acquired an impressive array of material.

``It's amazing. You actually call up somebody and say, `Hey, I'm
interested in playing your stuff. Can you help me out?' And it's rare
that they'll turn you down,'' Roach says. ``Bud Shank was nice enough
to let me use some of his music. The first time I met Franca Mulligan,
Gerry's widow, she was nice enough to let me copy most of his charts
from `Rebirth of the Cool,' '' Gerry Mulligan's early 1990s re-creation
of the classic charts from Miles Davis' 1950s nonet sessions known as
``The Birth of the Cool.''

As a baritone saxophonist, Roach was long drawn to the work of
Mulligan, who helped spark the West Coast jazz movement, though he
spent relatively little time in Southern California.

Other L.A. bandleaders such as Rogers, Shelly Manne and Howard Rumsey
developed large followings, but West Coast jazz came to be seen by many
critics as a creative dead end, particularly when compared to East
Coast bands led by Art Blakey and Horace Silver. (For an invaluable
debunking of coastal cliches, see Ted Gioia's book ``West Coast
Jazz.'')

``The thing I like about this whole period of West Coast jazz is that
it was not only a musician's music, it was a writer's music,'' Roach
says. ``I like to write and arrange, and this gives me a venue to do
that. I pay a lot of attention not only to Mulligan's playing but his
writing, and to guys like Paich, Rogers, Bill Holman and Bob Florence.
These guys wrote some incredible music that's a bunch of fun to play.''

The sense of fun comes through clearly on ``After Dark.'' For the
musicians involved in the group now, the opportunity to work with a
disciplined group of players dedicated to little-heard music is a dream
come true. Bassist David Kopf, for instance, was a founding member of
the jazz band at the University of California-Berkeley in the early
'70s before he went off to Harvard Law School. He sees a similar
passion for music in many of his Octobop band mates.

``We were all great in our high schools, colleges and honor bands, but
most of us didn't decide to be musicians,'' Kopf says. ``My mom said,
`Sure, be a musician if you want to starve.' Though lots of my family
members went to conservatory, I'm the guy with the day job. We're not
going to make anybody forget Mulligan or Coltrane. Our point is to make
people remember them. And we caught Pell's ear. That's cool!''

Octobop

Where: Espresso Garden & Cafe, 814 S. Bascom Ave., San Jose

When: 8 p.m. Friday

Tickets: $18; (408) 298-0808