[Dixielandjazz] (Dixieland Jazz) Pete Kelly's Blues

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Apr 19 13:07:53 PDT 2005

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:

>specialty of the restaurant the band play in, didn't really become known in
>America until the 1950's.  I remember a restaurant in Keansburg, NJ that had
>a sign that said "Pizza" and then under that said "Italian Tomato
>Pie."
>Nobody knew what it was!   So I doubth that a popular speakeasy in the
>heartland would be serving it in the 1920s.<<<
>
>Correct.  American post-war phenomenon.  Even Italians needed to be told what it was!
>
>(Correct me, please, if I'm wrong, List-Italians...),
>
>--
>Etc,
>
>Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
>Special Assistant to the Presiding Archbishop
>North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
>www.naorc.org

Sorry Mike, but I recall going out with my folks in 1944 in San
Francisco to a place that had pizza -- something new to most of us.
Spike was playing the Golden Gate Theater and it was around the holidays
so we were all there together. A movie and shorts between the Slickers'
sets gave us time to go and it was my first taste of Pizza...ten years
earlier than your note states. I didn't like it at first, but wised up
in time.
The best pizza at a gig though was the Shakey's we got at Sacramento
with the freebie tickets we players got. It was beer or pizza -- but the
clainet player didn't drink so I got his spares.
Don Ingle