[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong at Carnegie / Worst Musical Movie / The OKOM explosion

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 19 09:48:54 PDT 2005

List mates:

Bergreen's Book on Louis cites a NY Newspaper quote about an Armstrong All
Star's Concert at Carnegie in November 1947. (Page 355 Bottom)

Worst musical movie? IMO, Young Man With A Horn. (Kirk Douglas loosely doing
an awful corruption of the Bix story)

OKOM Explosion? Now working a Sunday Brunch in Philly; Wed, Thu, Sat at the
Showboat in Atlantic City.  Just added Monday nights at a brand new jazz
venue in Wilmington. Owner is a 35 year old who "LOVES DIXIELAND". He hopes
to get the young, upwardly mobile crowd. 5:30 to 8:30 PM, Çosta's on
Delaware & West Streets. (Old Zanzibar Blue location). Also has an outdoor
space where we will play Swing Dancing music for our swing dancer followers
for some added Summer dates.

So, now 5 nights a week in May, plus 10 other May gigs booked earlier this
year. If everything goes according to "best" scenario, that will be 30 gigs
a month from May through August. Just about all, except the Showboat gig,
are for the new, young audience. Showboat is 50-50. OKOM LIVES!!!!!

Maybe too good to last but then, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone