[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pete Kelly's Blues/Booze

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Apr 18 19:57:56 PDT 2005

> dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com writes:
>> I think a meatier thread would be a discussion of the silliest movies
>> depicting musicians.  I vote for "Pete Kelly's Blues."

Yeah, it was sorta silly, but wasn't the music grand? Someone correct
me if I remember poorly, but wasn't the fine combo a group with Dick
Cathcart, Matty Matlock, and others who were around that time in Ben
Pollack's band? Then there was the N.O. funeral scene in the beginning,
not the best I've seen, and Peggy Lee as a lush. I thought she
overacted but she got an Academy Award nomination, and who cares? She
sounded and looked great. Does anyone have the full lineup of the
combo? It surely must have been released on an LP.

True anecdote. That year, some music students put on a satirical skit
called "Pete Smelly's Booze" at Loyola with Barbara Faulkner, Bert
Braud, John Bourgeois, and others. There were actually pre-program
censors then, a panel of Jesuits who said it was "too raucous" and we
had to tone it down. The upshot was that we did it in 19th century
drawing room setting. Talk about watering the liquor! The pace of the
piece was destroyed. Hey, I just discovered that I've been wanting to
get that gripe off my chest for almost fifty years. Free at last.

Charlie Suhor