[Dixielandjazz] Fred Radke and Mike Vax @ Julia Morgan Theater..Wow!

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 20:31:58 PDT 2005

Today's show with these 2 trumpet stars from Oakland left me breathless.
Both Fred and Mike are trumpet experts, alumni of not only Oakland High but
former lead trumpets for Harry James and Stan Kenton. In spite of their immense
talent they are both approachable and humble and show their love for the
audience.

They did not disappoint the packed house at the Julia Morgan Theater in
Berkeley. No sound baffles were needed and every seat offers a balanced view of the
stage. Now I know why Julia Morgan's designs are so treasured.

My favorites were Fred's rendition of Davenport Blues and his duet with Mike
on The Man with the Horn.

Fred is not only a master of the trumpet, but a comedian and vocalist. His
vocal renditions of Night Life and You'll Never Know were memorable since Fred
gave the audience insight on both songs, mentioning Rusty Draper (Night Life)
and Harry James last album love song to Betty Grable (You'll Never Know).

Bob Romans was there; I don't know if any other DJMLers were in attendance.
Thanks Fred and Mike for a most memorable performance!
Sincerely,
Art Wood (alumni of Oakland High '63)