[Dixielandjazz] Playing for the young - Swing Dancers

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 16 20:08:29 PDT 2005

Just booked a wedding for a couple of swing dancers in their 20s. As you
commercial jazz guys know, weddings pay the rent, but some jazzers look down
their artistic noses at playing them, long green notwithstanding.

The secret is to play "jazz weddings". How do you get those? Simple, by
playing jazz where young people gather. Like play for swing dancers.

Below is a snip from an email to me this evening that confirmed the booking.
All those folks mentioned are in their 20s, swing dance, and are followers
of our band. I ran a couple of names by her and this is the reply.

"Yes, I know everyone you mentioned (Sidney, Paul,
Marty, Gina, etc.).  As a matter of fact, Paul was one
of the people who suggested you.  Another dancer, Mark
DiLullo, suggested you as well.  (Since I only asked
two people, and you were the first band out of both of
their mouths, I figured it was a good place to start!)"

Wedding format is an hour and a half of jazz trio playing jazz versions of
the American Songbook (Clt, Gui, Bs) and then two and a half hours of our
standard 6 piece Dixieland band. It just doesn't get any better than this.

You should see them dance to Fidgety Feet, That's A Plenty, etc. In fact, if
you are in the Philadelphia area on May 6, contact me. We are doing a swing
dance that night for the 20-30 year olds, at a church auditorium. ($15)

The OKOM that most band leaders on the list play was dance music when it was
first played. How come it isn't now? What have we done to it?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone