[Dixielandjazz] To Barbone

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Apr 16 08:46:18 PDT 2005

SouJazz at aol.com wrote:

>Just a thought that many a jazz musician has kept from starving by  playing
>jingles, and or other assorted musical noise. They still do today.  The older
>audience does not go out to clubs or spend enough money to keep  jazz viable
>as a means of making a living.
>
>So what's a poor jazz muso  to do? :-) VBG
>
>Cheers,
>Steve (no starving artist)  Barbone
>

>am a fellow clarinet player--in Paducah Ky-an  ophthalmologist --I have your
>cd and love your playing and always enjoy reading  your comments on the list-
>there are many great jazz clarinet players both new  and old but I think none
>play better than Pete Fountain..I have love his playing  since I was 16 and I
>am 60--and although I have listen to all the others I am  most impressed with
>him -- what is your opinion as a clarinet player who has  been around and can
>play very well??Ted Borodofsky  www.southernjazz.com

Don't overlook your very own home town clarietist and a gifted arranger,
Julian C. "Matty" Matlock.
A more warm-hearted and kind man never existed, and take that from a
former student of arranging of
this man. The warm, woody sound he got on this clarinet matched his
personality. He was always proud to be a
son of Paducah, was a "Duke of Paducah", and even used the town's name
on one of his recording bands,
the Paducah Paraders. As a freind and mentor of  this fellow, I can tell
you that he is still missed but what
a lovely legacy of recrded music he left us. Matty's son Bud, a high
school class mate of this fellow, was a gifted
guitarist that died all too young of a sudden anuerism, but was a mirror
image of his dad in a sweet and gentle
persona.
Don Ingle