[Dixielandjazz] N.O. J & H

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 08:47:34 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/14/05 5:51:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> on 4/14/05 2:35 AM, Luis Daniel Flores at luda at arnet.com.ar wrote:
>
> >I am sorry to say that this festival is 80 % or more NOT OKOM.
> >IN the French quarter festival is about 50 or 60 % OKOM
> >Luis

The number of 80% from our respected friend from Argentina, is also a bit
deceiving since many of us on the list have a much broader opinion of what is
OKOM so it all becomes relevant to those in attendance, to them it is TKOM.

Again we tread on the exclusionary process when we define our own narrow
personal tastes assuming that all on the list are in agreement with what is MKOM,
yet labeled under the title of OKOM.

Different strokes for different folks, think about it in terms of how many
musicians and bands are EMPLOYED, and how many folks are not sitting at home
watching TV and you get a bigger picture of what is happening down there.

Bring on the Happenings, that is where the future of OKOM is and if we don't
all work our butts off to try and get on those festivals and play and
introduce this music to younger generations there might indeed be no OKOM festivals as
the audience as we know it continues to move to the big OKOM Festival in the
Sky.

Perhaps if we thought about the growth of the NOJ&H Festival we could
understand it better, since it I believe started as more or less an OKOM Festival,
kept reaching out to younger audiences and expanding the music greatly, so much
that the die hard OKOM folks now, no longer want to attend since it is so big
and usually, successful that hardly nobody goes anymore.

Kind of like playing a killer show with three encores and selling a few
hundred CDs, and then having a band member proclaim that 80% of that audience was
not OKOA -udience)   :))

YOUR Kind of Audience is any Audience that will sit or stand and listen to
you, and if they do you can quickly add them to folks who like OKOM.   Otherwise
they would simply move on to find TKOM in another venue or stage.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
I like playing to the multitudes.