[Dixielandjazz] Rebirth Brass Band

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Apr 10 09:08:10 PDT 2005

I wrote:

  >> I am at the Pensacola Jazz Fest with The Boondockers.  Just heard the
>> Rebirth Brass Band from New Orleans.  All I can say is WOW!  I have never
>> heard anything like it before.
>>
>> It is a New Orleans Street Band but playing really hot tunes to a rock
>> beat.
>>
>> The tpt &tuba players must have iron chops.  The band had the crowd on
>> their feet, dancing, waving handkerchiefs &umbrellas.
>>
>> It is kinda sorta like Rock music, so, a few tunes are about as much as I
>> can take.  But of course, it is all done with traditional brass band
>> instruments, not amplified, guitars with distortion  boxes so it is more
>> enjoyable for me.

Tom Wiggins responded:

> Dear Bob & All:
>
> Rebirth is not a New Orleans Street Band anymore for the most part.  They
> tour the country playing Festivals and mostly night clubs for younger
> crowds.  An
> excellent band and as you said very exciting.   But a long way from a
> Traditional Brass Band sound and yes they do have iron chops because they
> play like
> we did in the olden days 6 to 10 hours a day on many tour days.
>
> If you had come out to hear Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band when we
> played in Sacramento in January or the San Francisco Easter Parade in
> March,  you
> would have heard the same energy and similar music except for the fact
> that we
> also play the Traditional style.
>
> There are many folks around the world who think we are even better than
> Rebirth because we are more commercially minded and event adaptable in
> repertoire.
> The other really hot New Orleans Brass band is "The Dirty Dozen Brass
> Band".
>
> Saint Gabriel's repertoire spans selections from Louis Armstrong to Sly &
> The
> Family Stone.   'Tis a pity we have been ignored by the Sacramento Jazz
> Jubilee since 1990 when the band was first formed, as well as all the
> other
> Traditional Jazz festivals presenting the same old Dixieland shows over
> and over
> again.
>
> Now that you have seen the new world order of Traditional Jazz being
> presented perhaps  you can use your influence to enlighten others on the
> Traditional
> Jazz Festival circuit, I also hope you took the time to see Bonearama,
> while
> you were in New Orleans or the Jazz Vipers, these are excellent groups
> with new
> modern ideas and interpretations of  Traditional Jazz that is being
> embraced
> by today's generation of music lovers over the hill from Rap and Hip Hop
> but
> not old enough to be into early 2 beat with banjo bands.
>
> If you get a chance while down there to catch the Dirty Dozen, by all
> means
> do so, and see an even different approach from their musical offerings.

Yes, what I heard yesterday was certainly not a "Traditional" New Orleans
Brass Band.  It is obviously the natural outgrowth or extension of one.
Take the Traditional instruments & put them in the hands of young people who
have grown up with the tradition but who want to "Push the envelope" as it
were.

I would love to see such a brass band at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee.
Unfortunately Mr. Krum does not listen to my advice when it comes to band or
musician selection at the Jubilee.

Tom, I am sorry that I didn't get down to Sacramento to catch your band.
Sacramento is an hour from where I live & sometimes transportation can be a
problem.  Maybe next time.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA
Currently in Pensacola, FL USA