[Dixielandjazz] Rebirth Brass Band

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sat Apr 9 22:09:44 PDT 2005

There is an interesting article in the on-line version of "OffBeat"
about a trombone player working in a lot of the current New Orleans
Brass Bands      http://www.offbeat.com/kickinitlive.html   "Catching
Craig Klein"

A lot of playing is going on down there, not quite what most of us
think of as OKOM, but there is a lot of traditional roots to what they
are doing there. Seems like every High School (and probably Junior
High) in that city has one or more "street brass" band developing -
that is where Rebirth and many others came from  (much like the "Garage
Rock" bands that flourish in most other places... some make it to the
big time, others just play in the local area, hoping for a break! )

Donna's Club on the edge of the French Quarter has been the focus spot
for most of the street brass bands for many years. I always spend a few
evenings there when I am in New Orleans.

Dave Richoux