[Dixielandjazz] Re: Billie Holiday's birth details

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sun Apr 10 08:35:15 PDT 2005

Dear Bill,
Thank you for both your equally informative emails. Yes, I do have
O'Meally's book ( 1 ed, 1991) which adds to the confusion because it cites
Philadelphia as the birthplace but doesn't have notes (hence no
verifications) or index, and a picture of a 1925 baptismal certificate
which, if my lapsed Latin is correcxt, says that Clarence Holiday was
Billie's father. However, O'Meally's main  source is the same as Donald
Clarke's (1994)--the data gathered by Linda Kuehl. Unless some other birth
document is discovered, Stuart Nicholson's governmentally verified statement
is the only one that is legally valid. This shows that Sadie Harris
registered Billie's name as Elinore and the father as Frank DeViese
[DeVeazy] on 24 April 1915. The tangled web (Harris, de Viese, Holiday and
others) could be untwined by anyone willing to write a summary of the data
in print. How about you, Bill?; although it is probably more than you , or
certainly I, wish to attempt. Incidentally, Nicholson also wrote an equally
scholarly book on "Ella Fitzgerald. A Biography of the First Lady of
Jazz"{Da Capo, 1995, paperback). My best wishes.
Fred