[Dixielandjazz] Re: Billie Holiday's birth details

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 10 00:09:28 PDT 2005

(DJMLers may read this, in the hope that they can throw additional light on
the subject. Some will find it boring, which is what the delete key is for.)
Dear Fred,
I have just purchased (at a good discounted price) 'If You Can't Be Free, Be
A Mystery. In Search of Billie Holiday' by Farah Jasmine Griffin. (2001.
Free Press).
I have only had time to skim it.
In her book Ms Griffin mentions another book that escaped my DJML listing
the other day, which predates Clarke (1994) and Nicholson (1995).
'Lady Day: The Many Faces of Billy Holiday' by Robert O'Meally. (1991.
Arcade Publishing).
Ms Griffin  says (page 51): "Robert O'Meally confirms Holiday was born on
April 7, 1915, in the Philadelphia General Hospital."
In the preface to 'Wishing On The Moon' Donald Clarke (from the UK) does not
mention O'Meally and states that he hired Susan Koelble in Philadelphia to
find the birth certificate and conduct other research.
It seems that Mr O'Meally found the elusive birth certificate independently
prior to 1991.
I wonder if he provided details of this in his book?
Do you have it?
Kind regards,
Bill.