[Dixielandjazz] Vince Giordano & His Nighthawks on PHC

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 08:04:45 PDT 2005

   Hope some of you folks caught Prairie Home
Companion on PBS yesterday. One of the musical
guests was Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks. They
played several tunes and Vince was written into a
long skit on how Garrison Keillor (the show's
host) grew up in a remote area of western North
Dakota and would listen to Giordano and his band
play on a radio show from New York.
   Skit ended with Giordano being sent to prison
for assaulting Henry Kissinger after Kissinger
requested "People Who Need People" at a concert.
But Giordano gets out and goes to France where he
becomes Vincent Jourdan et Les Hauques de la Nuit
or some such thing, can't recall the name Keillor
used ... most extensive use of a musical guest
I've ever heard on PHC, but I haven't heard 'em
all. Other musical guests were an amazxing
Odetta, who did some great blues singing (with
backup by Giordano's band, on at least one, I
think) and classical piano virtuoso Andre Watts.

Happy Webtrails, Bob Loomis