[Dixielandjazz] Itzak Perlman story/tuning

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 11:16:54 PDT 2005

anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au writes:

> Have any of our listmates ever engaged in such subversive behaviour?
>
> All the best
> Anton

Of course I would deny knowing anything about it for ever, but I have seen a
couple of pranks in my earlier days like: A bottle of bubble liquid poured
into a saxophone when the player was not looking.  Great effect for the audience
however when those bubbles started floating upwards on the next tune.

Someone once put a broken nylon tip from one of my drumsticks inside a
trombone and it's vibrations and rattle drove the bone player nuts for a couple of
tunes before he figured it out and pulled it apart and shook it out on the
floor.  I have also witness short pencils and pipe cleaners being pulled out of
trumpets.  Small wedges inserted into sax pads keep them open and drive the
player nuts.  Repeated slide manipulations on trombones and trumpets when the
instruments were left unattended by the player.

I more than once discovered wads of chewing gum stuck on the undersides of my
cymbals which of course no one in the band had any idea how they got there.
I have also had my drum heads retuned while I made a trip to the bathroom a
time or two.

  Or the time a Mardi Gras Minded well endowed lady dropped her bra into an
upright tuba which muted it just enough to irritate the tuba player for a tune
or so till the tuba player sat it upside down and it fell out on the floor, he
got a big laugh when he picked up the horn again and saw it lying on the
stage.  Of course the band members roared with delight and much ado was made about
finding the rightful owner of the lost garment.  Sans, someone is walking
around here with unconcealed weapons.  And would whomever lost this sling shot
please come and reclaim it.

Well it seemed funny at the time. :))
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins