[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Yancey

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Apr 5 14:39:39 PDT 2005

Butch Thompson said :

"For economy of means, my vote goes to Jimmy Yancey."

I've never been able to understand the attraction of Yancey's blues playing,
yet so many of my piano playing friends think that he is wonderful. That
spare, almost amateurish style of his must be a blind spot with me.

Southside Chicago blues/boogiewoogie as played by Pete Johnson, Albert
Ammons, Jimmy Blythe etc. is one of my favourite piano genres but Yancey
always fails to stir my loins.  What's the big deal with him? Is it one of
these "soul" things where technical facility is unimportant? I'd really like
to know.

John Farrell