[Dixielandjazz] Note count

Jack Tracy JackTracy26 at msn.com
Tue Apr 5 13:34:23 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Butch Thompson" <butcht at sihope.com>
To: "djml" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:51 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Note count

> For economy of means, my vote goes to Jimmy Yancey.
>
> Butch Thompson

Butch: Wouldn't you agree that Jimmy's economy of means came about as a
result of limited technique? I heard him in person several times, and the
emotional quality of his playing was high, but what he played was about the
best his fingers could execute mechanically.

Almost the same situation was true with Art Hodes: I loved his playing, and
had the pleasure of producing a couple of his albums, but you never had to
worry about being dazzled by Art's dexterity.

Jack Tracy