[Dixielandjazz] FQF-where to meet?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Apr 5 13:50:48 PDT 2005

Rebecca and Others,

The place to meet might depend on how much you want to fraternize. I've
mainly heard modern jazz at Snug Harbor, and the audience was there to
listen (and  applaud after solos). But that was not in a Big Party week
like the FQF, so things might be different. Also, OKOM audiences are
more prone to talk some, listen some (and yes, also applaud after
solos). Witness the Palm Court, where  I've never seen a quiet
audience. That's not a put-down, just a description. As we've discussed
on-list before, pre-modern jazz was an adjunct to dancing, partying,
and general good times rollin', and that's not a bad thing outside the
concert hall.
I won't be in until Friday, but in the event that DJML folks meet then,
I'd prefer to enjoy your company at, say, some place like Napoleon
House rather than just sit and listen, if it comes to a choice between
the two.

Charlie Suhor

P.S.--I'm no longer a local, but hey, parking will suck almost
anywhere. Dress is causual, bordering on who-gives-a-damn, at most
clubs. They want the tourists in shorts and baseball caps, credit cards
at the ready. There's a very big bar at Ralph & Cacoo's in the Quarter,
where people just drink, or wait to eat. In non-Big Party weeks, it's
bare and a great place to meet. Don't know when they close.

On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:19 AM, Rebecca wrote:

>  I would vote for a F2F at Snug Harbor.  This is a great lineup...
> However,
> since we have never been there, I don't know the size of the place,
> dress
> code, parking... Could some of you locals fill us in?
>
> Rebecca Thompson
> Flower Mound, TX

The place to meet might depend on how much you want to fraternize. I've
mainly heard modern jazz at Snug Harbor, and the audience was there to
listen (and  applaud after solos). But that was not in a Big Party week
like the FQF, so things might be different. Also, OKOM audiences are
more prone to talk some, listen some (and yes, also applaud after
solos). Witness the Palm Court, where  I've never seen a quiet
audience. That's not a put-down, just a description. As we've discussed
on-list before, pre-modern jazz was an adjunct to dancing, partying,
and general good times rollin', and that's not a bad thing outside the
concert hall.
I won't be in until Friday, but in the event that DJML folks meet then,
I'd prefer to enjoy your company at, say, some place like Napoleon
House rather than just sit and listen, if it comes to a choice between
the two.

Charlie Suhor

P.S.--I';m no longer a local, but hey, parking will suck almost
anywhere. There's a huge bar at Ralph & Cacoo's in the Quarter, where