[Dixielandjazz] Re: Soul and feeling in solos

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:53:03 PDT 2005

I remember a concert I went to some 30 or 35 years ago.  A promoter in
Denver hired Clark Terry to front a pick-up big band, made up mostly of
Denver music teachers.  (We've got more great players in this town than most
people would guess, and many of them teach, since -- well, you know... not
everyone can own Lawrence Welk's real estate portfolio.)  The trumpet
section was pretty strong, but each player seemed to want to outdo the
others.  On one uptempo tune -- I think it was Straight No Chaser -- the
idea was for each trumpet section member to take a solo.  We heard a Cat
Anderson type solo, followed by a Dizzy Gillespie type solo, followed by a
Maynard Ferguson type solo, followed by a Don Ellis(!) type solo.  Then it
was Clark's turn.  He softly played three notes, then took a breath and
proceded to play several delightful choruses of understated, bluesy, tuneful
stuff that really connected with the audience.  He made those
pyrotechnicians look awfully silly.

I would add Clark to the list of players who never waste a note.