[Dixielandjazz] Concert Tonight On The Internet

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 3 08:12:44 PDT 2005

You're not alone Bob. Those are GREAT MUSICIANS - but it reminded me of the
story of Lawrence Welk and Henry Cuesta.

Welk always had a problem with Cuesta roaring around all over the place
(musically speaking) but he valued his playing enough to fly Henry in from
Toronto to do his show's filming and broadcast work and usually sent a limo
for him. One time when Henry arrived at the airport, Welk was waiting to
drive him to town himself and used the time to deliver yet another sermon on
toning down the technical virtuosity somewhat to deliver the "music". Henry
wasn't buying it and for a while they were silent and then Welk said to
Henry, "You see that line of apartment buildings on the horizon Henry?"
Henry nodded 'yes'. Welk - "I own all of them" Then he paused and said
"That's what you get if you JUST PLAY THE MELODY!"