[Dixielandjazz] Anna Wahler, RIP

Edmetzsr at aol.com Edmetzsr at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 14:49:16 PDT 2004

Dear Listmates,
    It's sad for me to pass along the news that  Anna Wahler, one of the
grandest of the ladies who has vigorously supported OKOM  for the past 25 years or
so, has passed away. Anna, the proverbial mother of the  Buck Creek Jazz
band, a person who was rarely ever seen missing from the band's  performances,
whether it be a local concert, a West Coast festival (of which  there have been
many) or an international cruise, lost her battle with cancer  within the past
24 hours. My information came this morning from Frank Mesich,  co-leader of
the band who visited with Anna on Monday, after news came that the  end was
nearing during a concert that the BCJB played on Sunday evening in  suburban D.C.
Frank's words to me were, "Anna has gone to join Fred".
    For those who are followers of Buck Creek, you know  that Anna and Fred
Wahler helped form the BCJB and encouraged the band at its  outset, providing
their home on Buck Creek (Lane) in suburban D.C. as a  rehearsal venue for the
musicians. Anna and Fred later hosted many concerts and  even full fledged
festivals over the years. Both became very well  known among festival goers. As I
have had the pleasure of subbing for Bill  Richards on piano from time to
time, I never once played with Buck Creek whereby  either Jim Ritter or Frank
Mesich failed to intoduce Anna (or Fred while he was  still with us) to the
audience. All of us in the business should have such loyal  fans.
    So for those of you for whom this news comes as a  shock, please keep
Anna in your thoughts and prayers at this time. I'm  certain more details will
follow.
Sorrowfully, Ed Metz