[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 21, Issue 37

nvickers1 at cox.net nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 10:37:27 PDT 2004

Dear Listmates:

Just a note to say that in Pensacola Hurricane Ivan did significant damage to homes and businesses in low-lying areas-- near our beaches.  Many businesses and homes were destroyed but there was little loss of life, due to the advance warning and mandatory evacuation of low-lying areas.

This note is to let you know, however, that the festival site in downtown Pensacola is in good shape and that Pensacola JazzFest #22, upcoming April 9-10, 2005 will proceed as planned.

Headliners include:

--Boondockers-- performing vintage Jazz and comedy.  Our esteemed Mr. Wonderful, DJML moderator Bob Ringwald is pianist with this group.
--O Som Du Jazz--a Latin group from St. Petersburg, FL.  It contains vocalist and pianist both of whom are native Brazilians.
Rebirth Brass Band of New Orleans.  They will perform on stage and march as well-- JazzFest has a Second Line Umbrella contest.
--New Orleans Pianist Chuck Chaplin, vocalist Betty Shirley and saxophonist/flutist Loren Pitcher. ( They will perform in varying combinations)
--Navy Commodores Jazz Ensemble from Washington, DC.  Commodores are the premier band of the Navy.  Jazz Ensemble is led by saxophonist Steve Williams, a native Pensacolian from a distinguished musical family.  This will be a wonderful homecoming for Steve.

Headliners are scheduled to perform both days--Sat and Sun.

New last year was a youth stage.  It will be continued and expanded this year.

Other groups includ jazz ensembles from Pensacola Junior College and University of West Florida. If there are any slots left, then they will be filled with local/regional groups.

This is a free festival which is enthusiastically supported by the Jazz Society of Pensacola and the community.  We work hard all year to produce this  our annual gift to the community and celebration of American Music.

For those who are interested in photos and description of the damage, see www.pensacolanewsjournal.com.  We have had a wonderful ourpouring of assistance from many sources and are getting back to normal.

Yours for jazz,

Norman Vickers