[Dixielandjazz] Russ Meyer RIP

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:58:57 PDT 2004

Hi friends and neighbors,

Sad news -

We've been duly noting the passing of our musical heros as time goes by.

I wish to acknowledge the loss of one of the nation's seminal (I use that
word specifically) film makers. Russ Meyer.

Some of you may wonder why I would include a non dixieland obit in the DJML
. . . I will explain that at the end of this posting.

-----> Start Russ Meyer obit

Russ Meyer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Russ Meyer, whose racy films such as "Mudhoney," "Faster,
Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" and "Vixen" made him a cult movie favorite, died
Saturday of complication from pneumonia. He was 82.

Meyer died at his home in the Hollywood Hills, according to his company, RM
Films International Inc. Spokeswoman Janice Cowart said Meyer had suffered
from dementia.

Meyer's films were considered pornographic in their time but are less
shocking by today's standards.

His work made him rich and earned critical acclaim. He was honored at
international film festivals, his movies were discussed in college courses
and his work was shown at top museums.

Altogether he produced, directed, financed, wrote, edited and shot at least
23 films, including his debut, "The Immoral Mr. Teas," in 1959 and the 1968
film "Vixen," whose success earned him notice from major studios.

He went on to direct the 1970 major studio release "Beyond the Valley of the
Dolls", which was co-written by film critic Roger Ebert.

Other films by Meyer include "Fanny Hill" (1964), "Mudhoney" and
"Motorpsycho" from 1965, "Mondo Topless" (1966), "Common Law Cabin" (1967),
"Finders Keepers, Lovers Weepers!" (1968), "Blacksnake" (1972), "Up!" (1976)
and "Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens" (1979).

The director traveled widely, describing adventures with Ernest Hemingway in
Paris and a fedora given to him by director Federico Fellini, to whom he
compared himself.

In 1992, Meyer published his three-volume autobiography, "A Clean Breast:
The Life and Loves of Russ Meyer."

----->  End Meyer's obit

Now why do I observe the passing of this film giant? ---

About 40 years ago I met Meyer when he and his film crew and actors were
filming the movie "Mudhoney" on location in the little town of Walnut Grove,
California.  At the time my musical partner (Frank Owen) and I were
entertaining playing music in the Boondox hotel in Walnut Grove (a tourist
destination in the Sacramento River Delta) and the whole Meyer's staff
stayed at the hotel for about two weeks while they were shooting on
location.

I even got a part as an extra and I have film credits and a small (non
speaking - or anything else) role in the film.

You don't believe me . . . Hah!  Just do a google search and enter keywords
"russ meyer bill gunter" and see what you get.

So, RIP Russ Meyer and thanks for the opportunity to gain immortality by
appearing (fully clothed) in one of your more artistic productions.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I don't sign autographs" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com