[Dixielandjazz] Waldren "Frog" Joseph R.I. P.

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 09:35:01 PDT 2004

On the OffBeat message board, Joe T. writes "The great New Orleans jazz
trombonist, Waldren 'Frog' Joseph passed in the hospital on Sunday night. Tim
[Green] and Frog's son Kirk Joseph had just returned from a trip with Anders
Osborne, and Kirk got the call as he was leaving the airport. Frog was truly a jazz
treasure. He was the premier trombonist of his time, and his association with
bands led by Paul Barbarin, Louis Cottrell, Alvin Alcorn, Teddy Riley and Jack
Willis left many thousands of hours of exquisite music, and thousands of
entertained fans of New Orleans traditional jazz. Frog also recorded with Al Hirt,
Pete Fountain and many others, and was a strong influence on Freddie Lonzo,
Scottie Hill and Lester Caliste. He had three sons who were professional
musicians, Kirk on sousaphone, and Gerald and Charles Joseph on trombone. I must
admit that I spent many long hours with Frog at his home, and on the bandstand,
he was always an interesting person to be around. Every night on the band stand
was a "lesson" in musicianship, professionalism, and humankind. Several years
ago in Torino, Italy I was fortunate enough to meet piano great Dave Brubeck
while touring with the late Teddy Riley. Mr. Brubeck got into a conversation
with myself and Gregg Stafford about New Orleans musicians he knew, such as
Sweet Emma Barrett and Paul Barbarin, and one of the first ones he asked about
who he still thought was living was Frog Joseph. I was impressed. He gave me a
message to give Frog when we returned home. I remember making a special trip to
Preservation Hall to deliver it in person on Frog's regular gig with the late
Harold Dejan. Frog was so delighted to hear from his old friend. Thank you,
Frog, for all that you gave us, and thank you for passing through my life in
your own special way." A wake will be held at 600 Moss Street, corner Hagan,
this Friday September 24 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., and there will be a mass at
Corpus Christi Church, 2022 St. Bernard (at Galvez) Saturday, September 25th at 10
a.m. with funeral procession, jazz second line and burial at St. Louis
Cemetery #3 on Esplanade.