[Dixielandjazz] FH5=2

jack wiard jack_wiard at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 03:08:30 PDT 2004

To Listmates,  I was sorry to read about the passing of Firehouse Five +2
pianist Frank Thomas, a fine musician. I am a big fan of this group and the
playing of sop. saxist George Probert got me interested in taking up this
instrument. The group would often come to Turk Murphy's club Earthquake
Magoons in San Francisco. On one of these trips, a fire actually broke out
next door to the club. The groups leader Ward Kimball briefly interrupted
the set to supervise the S.F. Fire Dept. He came back to announce to the
crowd that his services were not required outside and also that in all the
years leading the group, this was the first fire they had attended! A great
entertaining group. J. Wiard...Sydney, Australia