[Dixielandjazz] Walt Johansson's Turk Murphy discography

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Sep 21 14:29:24 PDT 2004

Mike Logsdon enquired :

"Lu's "Chicken Shack" tapes?"

Ed Sprankle was my best friend for more than 35 years until he suddenly
passed away last year. He told me about this episode - Ed visited Lu Watters
and found a pile of unissued recordings stacked in Lu's chicken shack
covered in droppings, many of which were beyond salvation (the recordings
that is, not the droppings. I really must pay more attention to my
antecedents!). Those which were still in playable condition were rescued,
the intention being to clean them up for release on CD.

I'm pretty sure that Ed dubbed some of the tracks for me but being the
disorganised person that I am I have no idea where they are hiding among all
my musical paraphernalia. Tomorrow I'll have a good poke around, if I find
them I'll report back.

John Farrell