[Dixielandjazz] another question - another answer

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Sep 21 07:04:57 PDT 2004

Kimberly: Re your question.
It is something called, "Work for Hire." An arranger is hired to write a
chart, is paid for this work, but it is on a "work for hire" basis.
Therefore the employer who hired you has bought the rights to the
arrangement - ergo: no royalty to the arranger.
Since most major labels, studios, etc, hire such work done, they avoid
royalties to the arranger who was paid under :work for hire." Writers today
face this same problem. Most major magazine will not buy stories, features,
etc, except under an all rights contract, thus making this a one time
payment, with the magazine or publication then  able to re-run, sell to
others, and control all future uses for profit while the writer only gets a
one time payment. Among members of most journalism organizations this is a
major area of past and future battle lines. But such entities as NY Times,
Knight-Rider, Hearst and other major publishing companies, work for hire
contracts are the only way they will buy. It is up to the  creator to get
the best deal they can up front in such cases as that is it.
If you can avoid a work for hire assignment, do so. Chances are slim if you
deal with a major.Exception exists - certain big names, major talents with
enough  name clout do retain residual rights -- e.g.: John Williams, Randy
Newman, etc.
But we mere mortals have to take it one deal at a time and pray we deal with
a fair client.
Don (music biz is slow but the writing picks up the slack) Ingle