[Dixielandjazz] One person and art

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 20 19:09:28 PDT 2004

>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:18:45 +1000
>From: Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au>
>
>Hello Dan
>You ask "What do you think about the following statement: only one person
>can create art."
>What were you drinking?   :-)
>As Bill G points out, it's hard to find any common ground on a meaning for
>"art" but let's look at some examples of group creation which most people
>would class as art.
>A large proportion of the output of the Hollywood studio system in the
>1930s and 1940s - French auteur theory notwithstanding.
>Mozart's Requiem, Puccini's Turandot and Mahler's 10th symphony.
>Any performance of any music, involving more than one person.
>All the best
>Anton
**---------------------------------------------------------------------**
Anton et al.--
     I used the word 'create' in the sense of "To produce through
artistic or imaginative effort" (or "to evolve from one's own thought
or imagination, as a work of art or an invention"), not "To cause to
exist; bring into being".
     Performance isn't _creation_.  Elation of players during
performance isn't _creation_ either.
     Let's get ten classically trained composers together and have
them 'create' a piano sonata.  Dimes to dog turds it'll be awful.
     A work of art is created by making real something imagined, and
something imagined can happen to only one person.
     Let's get ten world-class jazz-trumpet artists and have them
'create' a jazz solo.  The result will be awful.
     Not everything one person does creating art will be judged 'high'
or 'good' art, of course.  Can't be a genius in every bar, you know.
But the fruit of the imagination or the vision of one composer, one
jazz soloist, one writer, one director, one painter, and so on--that
has a chance to be art.  _Ipse dixit_ ("if you knew Ipse, like i know
Ipse, oh, oh what a...").

     Dan

P. S. Copies of this speech are available for twenty-five cents and a
self-addressed stamped envelope through the Merkin Press.
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "Not everything that a man knoweth can be disclosed, nor can    **